In 1884 he opened a brewery inside the monastery in order to finance the monastery and also contribute to various charitable causes. Originally the brewery was called De Schaapskooi, and this name is still used especially in the surrounding area. It has the largest range of beers of all the other Trappist breweries. “La Trappe” is one of only ten (or eleven) “Trappist” breweries in the world and is therefore allowed to use the “Authentic Trappist Product” logo. This logo guarantees authenticity and tradition. The atmosphere of devotion, silence, and contemplation that reigns within the walls of the monastery find their expression in this fine series of beers.