The 146 hectare estate originally formed part of “Constantia”, a vast property established in 1685 by Simon van der Stel, the first governor of the Cape. This particular valley was chosen not only for its beauty, but also for the decomposed granite soils on its slopes, gently cooled by ocean breezes. It then formed part of Groot Constantia until 1823, when the land was divided between the brothers Jacob Pieter and Johan Gerhard Cloete. The latter took ownership of the upper reaches, situated on the eastern slopes and foothills of the Constantiaberg, where there were already over 33,000 vines planted. He named this magnificent piece of land Klein Constantia. The perfect location for cool climate wines, Klein Constantia produces some of South Africa’s top wines, including one of the world’s best natural sweet wines, Vin de Constance.