Cos d’ Estournel
Cos d’ Estournel is ideally located in the heart of an undulating landscape in the northern Médoc. The estate’s rolling contours served as inspiration for its name. “cos” comes from the word for “hill of pebbles” in the old dialect of Gascony.
The history of Château Cos d’ Estournel begins in 1811 when the owner Louis Gaspard Lacoste of Maniban Marquis d’ Estournel, having inherited some vineyards near the village of Cos, decided to vinify them separately. The wine of Cos d’ Estournel was born. Very quickly, the wine surpassed the most famous wines and was exported to India. The vineyard of Château Cos d’ Estournel now covers 91 hectares. The harvest is of course made by hand and the grapes, gathered in special crates, are always carefully sorted.